A New Year always deserves a fresh start and usually, come the first week of January, I feel the need to transform my entire house! Of course, transforming the look of a space can be achieved without going to extreme lengths. In fact, it can be as simple as renewing the space you already have with color, art, linens, lighting and accents.
I vow to renew my home through these 2013 Style Resolutions...
1. Add a Fresh Coat of Paint to the Walls: It's really amazing how a new paint color can transform the look of a room in a matter of hours! I'm feeling awakened this year, so perhaps I'll experiment by using a brighter color on the walls, and a darker contrasting color on the trim.
2. Play with Pattern and Color:
Adding more visual interest to our family room, through the mix of pattern and color, is a must this year. To help the room flow and feel relaxed, it's important to select patterns within the same color family, like what is shown in the design by Angie Hranowsky
3. Hang more Art:
I'm on a quest to replace more of my prints with original "looking" art this year and try some unique wall arrangements. It's time to dust off the old hammer and nail.
4. Liven Up The Guest Bedroom:
With the holidays behind us, now is the perfect time to transfer our basement into the guest bedroom. Fortunately our basement has lots of natural light and a full bathroom, so my hope is to make the room warm and welcoming for guests. I love the use of cool blues and textures used in this design my Emily Ruddo.
5. Replace the Chandeliers:
I've been waiting to replace our chandeliers ever since we moved in. I'm opting for a no fuss sophisticated look, and this one from Shades of Light
caught my eye.
6. Update the Fireplace:
My fireplace is looking extremely barren these days without it's holiday decor, so I plan give it a fresh update. Filling urns with boxwood or branches is a great look during the winter and spring months. I also like the simple glass hurricanes displayed on the mantel.
7. Organize my Home Office:
This is one room in the house that could use a complete overhaul and I am determined to reach this level of organization.
8: Plant Hydrangeas in the Backyard:
9. Try a New Monogram: To make a space feel more personal and special, I often add a embroidered monogram to linens, towels, pillows, serve ware, and even gifts. Perhaps this year I'll give one of these styles a try.
10. Fix the Towel Rack:
We are going on 3 years of procrastination...
- Sending Love, Design and a Wonderful New Year!